Nectarine and Plum Upside Down Cake
July 28th, 2017
Nectarines and plums are perfect for an upside down cake during the summer time! Don't like nectrines? You can always swap for peaches, or any of your favorite fruits. We like to enjoy a slice with my Fresh Nectarine Ice Cream (dairy-free). Be sure to check out this ice cream recipe since its so simple to prepare! This cake is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free.
I used a 7x3 cake pan. Yields 8-10 slices.
- 2 cups of your choice gluten-free flour or 1.5 cups of almond flour + 1/2 cup cassava flour (you can swap coconut flour or fine ground gf oat flour for the Cassava)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup of whole fat coconut milk (or your choice milk)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil (melted coconut or olive oil can also be used)
- 2 teaspoons of gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 nectarines, pitted (or peaches) cut into thin slices
- 2 plums, pitted and cut into thin slices
For the Cake Pan
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup + 2 tablespoons raw coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cake pan bottom with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides of the cake pan with melted coconut oil or ghee.
- Prepare dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk wet ingredients together. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Whisk well until batter is formed. Set aside.
- Combine the 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and coconut sugar and smear the bottom of the cake pan. Arrange the sliced fruit.
- Whisk batter once again. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked inside. Remove from oven and allow to cool down for 15 minutes.
- When serving: You can always add more sliced fruit (as I did) if desired, and or, enjoy with ice cream.